lunes, 8 de diciembre de 2008

Tajumulco, again

I climbed it again, for the fourth time. The first time I climbed it we had beautiful views all day long and I saw into Mexico and I faintly saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time in my life. The second two times were horrid, cold experiences where we were lucky to see more than a hundred feet in front of us and to have returned with our ears, fingers, and toes.

This time Meli and I climbed it with 7 other volunteers, and it was beautiful. We went most of the way up the volcano and camped about an hour below the summit. At 4am we got up and hiked our way up to the top by flashlight. At about 6am the sun came up and we were the second coldest we had been in our lives, the most cold being the second time I went up Tajumulco with Meli. However it was a gorgeous sunrise, which almost immediately started to warm us. See pics on my flickr (upper right of page). Unfortunately, my camera battery died after only the first couple shots.

Last night they burned the devil again in the town park. They do that every Christmas and at Easter they burn Judas. I think this type of violence is something that the American church is lacking. It really unites people behind a cause, I mean who's not for burning Satan? And it brings out the holiday cheer.

No hay comentarios: