viernes, 5 de diciembre de 2008

You're a Chub-a-tubs

Gordo, gorda, gordita, gordito that means “fatty” and “little fatty.” Awhile back my girlfriend, Meli, told me that that was a term of endearment and not an insult here. So I promptly started calling her that, but I couldn't do it. Because for me and my anorexic culture that is is just mean, or at the very least very ill put criticism; even though she is not in the least a “fatty.”

But she assured me it was okay, but at the same time I think she knew it wasn't my culture and I wasn't thinking endearing thoughts when I called her mi gordita because I couldn't say it without at least a smirk on face.

I think this common pet name may have to do with the fact that malnutrition rates are so high here. It seems that you're either malnourished or you're fat, but sadly many times you are both from a generous diet of corn tortillas and chicken, but you don't realize it until you can't give milk to your new born child or the milk you're giving isn't helping them grow, or a plethora of other problems.

Also, naturally going along with the pet name business, people will not hide their feelings about your weight, even strangers. I think it would go better for me if I was of a huskier build, because since I'm on the thinner side, I'm flaco or more kindly flaquito, “skinny” or “little skinny.” Unfortunately this is less of term of endearment than a reproach to eat more, especially tortillas and chicken.


I didn't even mean to write about this. I meant to write about how my dog was stolen, and how I was going to use that as an excuse for why I haven't written in awhile, and how I am tired of being robbed in Guatemala, perhaps another time. Sounds nice and uplifting, right?

However, I also want to mention that Lourdes, Meli's sister, had her baby like two weeks after I wrote the blog about the baby shower, and about a month premature, but it went well and may have been for the best because every woman that looked at her petite frame told her she was going to have to have a c-section, and that she should eat more tortillas and chicken. However despite all that, she had a beautiful red baby girl, Fernanda Delfilar Gonzales Abrosio. Wish I had a picture to show you.

No hay comentarios: